Tuesday, March 28, 2006

POSSESSION

"He made love to me all night."



It is always refreshing when a film takes great leaps of chance and goes right over the edge. Andrzej Zulawski's Possession does so incredibly. Isabelle Adjani (in dual roles) is perfect and carries the film along with Sam Neill. It is no wonder Adjani won at the Cannes film festival. Many will be quite disturbed by this unforgettable film. It features stunning camera movement and cinematography as well as top-notch performances from its international cast. This English-language French production features some freakish characters. In addition to Adjani and Neill there is Heinz Bennent and Johanna Hoffer. Gore and special effects aficionados will be pleased with Possession's remarkable realism and Marco Grimbaldi's monster. This film is aging rather well. One final note, the Anchor Bay release is the one to own. Their are some video releases floating around that have been butchered drastically. So much that it will leave the viewer thinking they have seen the wrong movie. This is the kind of film you give to your husband or wife just after the divorce is final. Another classic.

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,
Now I got it! I've seen a certain number of movies with Adjani, but not Possession. I'll certainly try and find a friend who has it: Nico, who shot our video probably does! I'll ask him.
Adjani is probably one of the best French actresses. She started with the theatre, and was first spotted out in one of Molière's plays, "Les précieuses ridicules" I think, or was it "Les femmes savantes"... I'll have to check. Anyway, the excerpt you sent on our page is a very efficient teaser... I have to see Possession.
Gé.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Michael Floyd said...

Hi Gé, it has been such a very long time since we've contacted each other! I was just perusing thru my comments and found you here. How are you and Jac? I read last month that Possession is being re-released theatrically in a restored print. I remember reading somewhere that Adjani went into a psychiatric hospital after seeing Possession because she thought her performance was going to ruin her career. xoxom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home